I need proper in-text citation, and full reference page (APA 7th edition). The practice gap identified is Hospital Acquired Pressure Injury. Articles to use must be within 5 years. Applying Project Management Approaches for a Quality Improvement Practice Gap Essay
1.Briefly describe the quality improvement practice gap you identified in your nursing practice or organization. Be specific. (Hospital Acquired Pressure Injury)
2. Develop at least two SMART objectives you might apply in the project planning phase or execution phase to address the quality improvement practice gap you identified.
3. Recommend at least two project management activities you would use for your project, addressing the quality improvement practice gap you identified.
4. Explain your justification for why these activities would provide the best support. Be specific and provide examples.
Applying Project Management Approaches for a Quality Improvement Practice Gap
Hospital-acquired pressure injury (HAPI), previously referred to as pressure ulcer, is a localized injury to the skin or underlying tissue that takes place during an inpatient hospital stay. The development of the condition is associated with factors such as immobility, nutritional status of the patients, advanced age, illness severity, hematological measures, and perfusion (Rondinelli, 2018). HAPI is reasonably preventable and is usually considered a nursing quality indicator. In the United States, about 2.5 million persons develop pressure injuries in acute care settings (Padula & Delarmente, 2019). According to Paule and Delarmente (2019), the cost of HAPI and related complications could exceed $28.6 billion, with approximately 59% of the costs attributive top stage 3 and 4 wounds. The risk of readmissions, hospital-acquired infections, and mortality associated with HAPI is significant in the country (Wassel et al., 2020). Developing effective measures against HAPI will not only save the healthcare sector money but will also improve the health outcomes of patients as well as the credibility of providers. Applying Project Management Approaches for a Quality Improvement Practice Gap Essay
Implementing quality improvement practices for improving the situation as related to HAPI may include regular skin inspection, movement, nutrition, and incontinence check-ups. SMART objectives associated with such interventions include the following:
- To reduce the incidence of HAPI by at least 40% within a period of one year in the intensive care unit of a big healthcare center.
- To determine the most effective measure against HAPI that will achieve the greatest cost-reduction while dealing with the conditions within one year.
- Offering staff in the healthcare center quality improvement training regarding HAPI monitoring and prevention measures results in at least 80% of them completing the program within a year.
ORDER NOW A PLAGIARISM-FREE PAPER HERE
Project management activities to address incidences of HAPI will encompass project planning, estimation of costs and developing a budget, identifying and engaging stakeholders, and performance monitoring. Health care matters are usually multidisciplinary. During the planning phase, it is important to identify the relevant players, which include hospital management, patients, health care professionals (nurses), and others. Implementation of relevant techniques is critical to overcoming decision-making challenges which, according to Pellerin and Perrier (2019), entail performance evaluation, time, costs, ideal timing of control points, risk analysis, and project representation. Collaboration with multidisciplinary clinical as well as risk assessment teams is crucial to test changes occurring during the project implementation phase and provide a basis for taking corrective action.
The Plan-Do-Study-Act (PDSA) methodology will be used to structure the project implementation of the HAPI improvement practices with continuous testing of changes. The PDSA methodology has been shown to be effective for implementing quality improvement projects. It will therefore play a significant role in meeting gauging the achievements of the project.
Knudsen, S. V., Laursen, H. V. B., Johnsen, S. P., Bartels, P. D., Ehlers, L. H., & Mainz, J. (2019). Can quality improvement improve the quality of care? A systematic review of reported effects and methodological rigor in plan-do-study-act projects. BMC health services research, 19(1), 1-10. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s12913-019-4482-6
Padula, W. V., & Delarmente, B. A. (2019). The national cost of hospital‐acquired pressure injuries in the United States. International wound journal, 16(3), 634-640. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/iwj.13071#:~:text=avoid%20higher%20costs.-,1%20INTRODUCTION,acute%20care%20facilities%20every%20year.
Pellerin, R., & Perrier, N. (2019). A review of methods, techniques, and tools for project planning and control. International Journal of Production Research, 57(7), 2160-2178. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00207543.2018.1524168
Rondinelli, J., Zuniga, S., Kipnis, P., Kawar, L. N., Liu, V., & Escobar, G. J. (2018). Hospital-acquired pressure injury: risk-adjusted comparisons in an integrated healthcare delivery system. Nursing Research, 67(1), 16. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29240656/
Wassel, C. L., Delhougne, G., Gayle, J. A., Dreyfus, J., & Larson, B. (2020). Risk of readmissions, mortality, and hospital‐acquired conditions across hospital‐acquired pressure injury (HAPI) stages in a US National Hospital Discharge database. International wound journal, 17(6), 1924-1934. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/iwj.13482
- Briefly describe the quality improvement practice gap you identified in your nursing practice or organization. Be specific.
- Develop at least two SMART objectives you might apply in the project planning phase or execution phase to address the quality improvement practice gap you identified.
- Recommend at least two project management activities you would use for your project, addressing the quality improvement practice gap you identified.
- Explain your justification for why these activities would provide the best support. Be specific and provide examples.
Applying Project Management Approaches for a Quality Improvement Practice Gap Essay